Fiber Optic Sensing Solves Unique 和 Difficult Problems
Where fiber optic technology is concerned, we typically envision data transmission over tremendous lengths with very low optical losses incurred. This allows 光纤s to sense small changes accurately. It is these characteristics that enable the web of connectivity that virtually every human benefits from.
If we view these technologies differently, it turns out that some of the lesser known, but fundamental characteristics of 光纤 和 cable, lend themselves to solving real world problems.
- Imagine being able to monitor the entire length of a water, 石油, or gas pipeline to create a temperature profile, ensuring adequate flow.
- How about listening to that same pipeline to detect small, manageable leaks at any point along the pipe – before they become catastrophic?
- What if we could sense seismic activity over great areas, using existing telecommunications cables?
- Is it possible to detect foot traffic, vehicle movement, or intrusion activities along a remote perimeter?
- Could we reduce the frequency 和 severity of train derailments by working to detect rail fatigue or break 和 their causes – preventing, rather responding to them after-the-fact?
- Why not use a “smart fiber” that is minimally intrusive, virtually weightless, to monitor the dynamic 3D shape of a structure to which it conforms?
These are just some of the use cases where Distributed Fiber Optic Sensing (DFOS) has 和 will grow in use in the coming decades.
DFOS is commonly viewed in these separate technologies:
- Distributed Temperature Sensing (DTS) 在那里 temperature can be monitored at every meter along a lengthy asset.
- Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS)——在那里 sound is detected as if microphones are placed at meter intervals along spans reaching more than 100 km.
- Distributed Strain Sensing (DSS)——在那里 fiber optic cables can be engineered 和 mechanically coupled to structures, like dams 和 pipelines, where ground movement can be detected 和 threatened locations pinpointed.
- Distributed Strain 和 Temperature Sensing (DSTS, also called DTSS)——在那里 systems of great length can be continuously monitored for temperature 和 strain to ensure fault-free operation while improving safety.
- Shape Sensing Technology ——在那里 a fiber can be embedded or attached to a surface to monitor dynamic 3D shape 和 enable successful minimally invasive surgery, medical instrument guidance, wind energy 和 gas turbine monitoring, 石油 exploration 和 undersea defense operations.
beat365登录 is a world leader in the design 和 manufacture of 光纤. Our commitment to continuous 传感 innovation 和 improvement enable us to help resolve challenges faced by some of the world’s most complex 和 challenging industries. To learn more about our fibers for 传感 or discuss your specific needs with an expert, reach out to the beat365登录 team today.